Position Title: Project Manager
Reports to: Deputy Director of Research
Position Status: Fulltime, exempt
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $95,000 - $110,000. EFI offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, vision, and dental insurance, 401k with a 5% match; and a pre-tax Flexible Savings Account, Health Savings Account, and parking and metro benefits. We have generous paid time off, plus all federal holidays and the week between December 25 and January 1.
About EFI Foundation
The EFI Foundation is a Washington-based registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to harnessing the power of technology and policy innovation to accelerate the clean energy transition. Led by principals with decades of experience and proven track records in government, academia, and the private sector, the EFI Foundation conducts objective, fact-based, and rigorous analysis supported by a multidisciplinary network of experts.
About Energy Futures Initiative
Energy Futures Initiative is a clean energy think tank dedicated to harnessing the power of innovation - both in technology and policy - to create clean energy jobs, grow economies, enhance national and global energy security and address the imperatives of climate change. To fulfill this mission EFI conducts research and analysis and preserves independent control of the methodology, content and conclusions of all projects and publications.
EFI was founded by Ernest J. Moniz, who served as the thirteenth United States Secretary of Energy (2013-2017) during the Obama Administration. Former Secretary Moniz also serves as the co-chair of the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and holds a position at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Former Secretary Moniz and other principals of EFI also are principals of EJM Associates, LLC, a Washington-based business consultancy.
The Energy Futures Initiative and EJM Associates participate in a shared services agreement and, pursuant to the agreement, employees of the Energy Futures Initiative perform professional services for EJM Associates consistent with their job description.
The Project Manager position will provide critical project management support for EFI and EJM work products, including but not limited to research and analysis, organizing tasks and deliverables, managing processes, collecting data, technical writing, and communications. Daily tasks can vary and are often project specific. The position will report to the Deputy Director of Research.
The Employee, as a Project Manager, shall be responsible for:
- Conducting the full scope of project development, execution, and completion for a subset of EFI Foundation and EJM Associates analytical projects. The position will work closely with EFI Foundation/EJM leadership for the entire project lifecycle, starting with the proposal-writing phase, ensuring all aspects of each project are completed to the highest quality, on time, and within budget.
- Managing junior analyst and associate contributions to report writing and analysis, particularly focused on reviewing written products and ensuring rigorous research processes are followed throughout the project lifecycle.
- Conducting performance management for the junior analysts and associates, meeting with staff regularly to provide mentorship and professional development feedback and guidance.
- Planning, organizing, and hosting webinars, workshops, client project meetings, and other events.
- Developing data visualization products including graphs, charts, maps, infographics, and slide presentations.
- Pursuing independent research, conference participation, trainings, and/or coursework to stay current on key issues within their professional area of focus, in consultation with EFI Foundation/EJM leadership.
- Supporting the Director of Research and senior leadership team with ad hoc qualitative and quantitative data analysis, writing, presentations, website content, and general research needs.
- Preparing Principals for business development efforts by developing issue briefs, policy summaries, and meeting notes.
- Evaluating emerging energy and climate trends across the globe, and persuasively writing about relevant business insights.
- Attending offsite meetings and reporting relevant insights to staff.
The approximate amount of time spent on various tasks is as follows:
- Project management: 50%
- Research and writing: 40%
- Administrative: 10%
The position is based at EFI headquarters in Washington, DC. As of the date of this posting, EFI is operating on a hybrid basis, with two days per week required in-office, though this is subject to change.
- 5-7 years of relevant research analyst and project management experience
- Energy knowledge
- Policy experience
- Report writing and professional presentation development
- Qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Data visualization
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- U.S. citizenship or authorization to reside and work in the United States
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19
- Advanced knowledge of energy systems and policy, climate change, and related topics
- Master’s or other advanced degree in environmental science, climate science, public policy, engineering, economics, or related field
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. EFI is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Statement on Diversity
EFI is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans are encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation for this job application due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.