Position Title: Communications Associate
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Strategic Communications and Policy
Position Status: Fulltime, exempt
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is between $60,000 and $70,000. EFI offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, vision, and dental insurance 401k with a 5% match; and a pre-tax Flexible Savings Account, Health Savings Account, and parking and metro benefits. We have generous paid time off, plus all federal holidays and the week between December 25 and January 1.
ABOUT THE ENERGY FUTURES INITIATIVE
Energy Futures Initiative is a clean energy think tank dedicated to harnessing the power of innovation - both in technology and policy - to create clean energy jobs, grow economies, enhance national and global energy security and address the imperatives of climate change. To fulfill this mission EFI conducts research and analysis and preserves independent control of the methodology, content and conclusions of all projects and publications.
EFI was founded by Ernest J. Moniz, who served as the thirteenth United States Secretary of Energy (2013-2017) during the Obama Administration. Former Secretary Moniz also serves as the co-chair of the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and holds a position at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Former Secretary Moniz and other principals of EFI also are principals of EJM Associates, LLC, a Washington-based business consultancy.
The Energy Futures Initiative and EJM Associates participate in a shared services agreement and, pursuant to the agreement, employees of the Energy Futures Initiative perform professional services for EJM Associates consistent with their job description
The Communications Associate assists the EFI Vice President of Strategic Communications, Communications Lead, and Communications Team in activities to promote the work of the Energy Futures Initiative (EFI) to energy stakeholder and general public audiences. EFI is a Washington, D.C.-based think tank established by former U.S. Energy Secretary Ernest J. Moniz that is dedicated to innovation in energy policy, technologies, and business models.
At this time, EFI works on a hybrid schedule with employees working from the office 2 days a week on average.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Write blog posts and other news content, report summaries, and fact sheets to promote EFI’s analytical work and thought leadership. In this work, communicate complex ideas clearly, simply, and convincingly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Generate social media content (text and designs) for LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram, and help manage social media accounts, including contributing to and implementing strategy to engage audiences.
- Help copy edit written materials produced by other team members according to AP Style, to catch grammatical and punctuation errors, and to ensure clarity.
- Manage EFI’s monthly newsletter and send out electronic invitations and other mailers to promote EFI events.
- Contribute your expertise to overall strategic communications planning and project-specific efforts and campaigns around EFI projects and analysis to ensure that EFI’s work reaches and resonates with target audiences (policymakers, other non-profits, energy industry stakeholders, etc.), and to increase the impact of EFI’s work.
- As part of strategic communications planning, manage the production of monthly impact reports on communications and marketing analytics, including social media metrics, website traffic, and email engagement.
- Make routine updates to the EFI website.
- Support EFI senior leaders in speaking engagements, including helping prepare briefing books and other materials.
- Support media relations and journalist interviews of senior staff from top news organizations.
- Help create and maintain databases for content distribution to energy stakeholders and influencers, reporters, and U.S. policy makers and their staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree (in Communications or related)
- 3-5 years of experience of professional experience in communications; energy sector experience and experience at policy organizations is highly desired
- Strong writing skills and proven communications writing experience; ability to write copy that is clear, concise, and engaging
- Copy editing skills and experience (AP Style, correcting grammar and punctuation)
- Strategic communications experience (preferably, including campaigns to energy stakeholders), and experience communicating to various audiences via various mediums
- Experience with social media, mass mailings (such as through Constant Contact or MailChimp), some graphic design (such as Canva, Affinity Publisher, InDesign), and other digital communications
- Self-motivated and able to produce high quality work on deadlines
- Possess strong work ethic, be a team player, and effective communicator
- Experience running events/virtual meetings are a plus
- U.S. citizenship or authorization to reside and work in the United States
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19
- Short letter of introduction
- Communications writing sample (preferably on an energy topic)
STATEMENT ON DIVERSITY
EFI is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans are encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation for this job application due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.